Due to current functional limitations of the ‘Volunteer Experience’ section on LinkedIn (e.g. searchability, endorsements), we strongly recommend that you list your In2science position on the main ‘Experience’ section of your profile.
1. Create a profile on LinkedIn. When viewing your own profile, click on ‘Add a new profile section’ in the top-right hand corner. Click on ‘Background’ and then ‘Work experience’ (more help on this step).
2. For ‘Title’, we recommend entering “Volunteer Peer Mentor”.
3. In the ‘Company’ field, type in “In2science” and select the option “In2science | Education Management” (with our logo) from the drop-down list that appears.
4. In the ‘Location’ field, enter ‘Victoria, Australia’
5. Enter ‘From’ and ‘To’ dates as appropriate to your In2science placement(s).
6. In the ‘Description’ field, we recommend you describe your mentoring role in a way that highlights the ‘soft’ skills involved, as described in the section above. You can also draw inspiration from the description of the In2science program on our website.
A couple of tips:
- You can also list “In2science” on your university degree entry, under the category of “Activities and societies”.
- Your LinkedIn profile is an ongoing work in progress, which you can refine over time, so you shouldn’t worry about it being perfect straight away. The ‘soft’ skills you developed through In2science will be relevant to every position you apply for, but the way you describe your In2science experience might change slightly depending on the industry / roles you’re aiming for.
- Start your descriptions with strong, positive action words and use What + How + Why impact statements